The interfacing of organic and bioorganic materials with solid surfaces plays an increasingly important role in nanotechnology, catalysis and for the development of sensors. At iNANO we have a excellent instruments and knowhow of imabing of single molecule structures by STM and through more than 10 years we have collaborated with Trolle Linderoth at iNANO on imaging supramolecular assemblies on surfaces. In addition we are routinely immobilizing DNA structures on surfaces for imaging and we have also worked with chemisorbed self-assembled monolayers
Among our current synthesis activities are:
- Design and synthesis of molecules for studies of supramolecular assemblies on surfaces by UHV-STM
- Studies of dynamics of compounds on surfaces
- Immobilization of DNA structures on patterened surfaces
Some of our past contributions to this field are:
Supramolecular chemistry on surfaces
- Chiral switching by spontaneous conformational change in adsorbed organic molecules. Weigelt, S.; Busse, C.; Petersen, L.; Rauls, E.; Hammer, B.; Gothelf, K. V.; Besenbacher, F.; Linderoth, T. R. Nature Mater. 2006, 5, 112–117.
- Surface synthesis of 2D branched polymer nanostructures. Weigelt, S.; Busse, C.; Bombis, C.; Knudsen, M. M.; Gothelf, K. V.; Lægsgaard, E.; Besenbacher, F.; Linderoth, T. R. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2008, 47, 4406–4410.
- nudsen, M. K.; Kalashnyk, N.; Masini, F.; Cramer, J. R.; Lægsgaard, E.; Besenbacher, F.; Linderoth, T. R.; Gothelf., K. V. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133, 4896–4905.
- Synthesis and application of a triazene–ferrocene modifier for immobilization and characterization of oligonucleotides at electrodes. Hansen, M. N.; Farjami, E.; Kristiansen, M.; Clima, L.; Pedersen, S. U.; Daasbjerg, K.; Ferapontova, E. E.; Gothelf, K. V. J. Org. Chem. 2010, 75, 2474–2481.
- Electrochemical properties of mixed self-assembled monolayers on gold electrodes containing mercaptooctylhydroquinone and alkylthiols. Larsen, A. G.; Gothelf, K. V. Langmuir 2005, 21, 1015–1021.